I'm really getting too old for this

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

I'm really getting too old for this

Postby toprob » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:33 pm

I use Prepar3d v4 most of the time, but I still keep FSX and Prepar3d v3 for testing scenery as it is developed. And I also use Prepar3d v3 with Whisplacer to actually build airports, so at the moment I use it a few times a day to place models as they are completed. Looking at v3 today, I realised how much I liked GSX, which I'd never installed in v4, so I tracked down my old order and installed it. Went in like a charm, but it still didn't look like v3 -- the airport ground vehicles were not the beautiful models in v3, so I thought I'd stuffed up GSX. Apparently not, the nice models are actually REX Worldwide Airports HD, which I forgot I owned:)
Makes me wonder what else I've forgotten....

NZCH certainly benefits from GSX and REX airports, it livens it up so much. Not sure how far I'll go incorporating GSX into NZCH, but it certainly seems like a good idea. Just too much to do and not enough time.

Looks like REX Worldwide Airports doesn't support v4 yet, I just need to pluck up the courage to install it anyway. A thread on Avsim says it works ok, I might give it a go tomorrow.

Here are the REX ground services which simply replace the default:

A couple of weeks ago I turned 62, so I shouldn't be losing my mind yet -- I thought I had at least 3 good years to go.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: I'm really getting too old for this

Postby Adamski » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:01 am

toprob wrote:Looks like REX Worldwide Airports doesn't support v4 yet, I just need to pluck up the courage to install it anyway. A thread on Avsim says it works ok, I might give it a go tomorrow.

What version have you got? Mine works fine in P3Dv4 - but I rarely go outside ORBX areas, so don't get to see the benefits.

I went to few default locations and the airports were so damn' ugly that WWA couldn't do much to salvage them. The vehicles in WWA are OK ... but basically three colour schemes and that's your lot!

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:29 am

I did redownload it, so I assume I have the latest. However it does allow you to simply choose the location of P3D3, so I chose P3D4 this morning, and it seems to have worked out ok.
Like you, I don't get much advantage, really only the ground service vehicles. The rest is custom airport. But every bit helps!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Splitpin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:50 pm

Just keep working Rob :P :bow:
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:46 pm

REX have just announced that Worldwide Airports will get P3Dv4 support on 1st August -- not sure if it will add anything, but I'll certainly report back...

https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/f ... ent-308618
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Ok, the update is now available, for someone like me who doesn't get to see much of its features, it may or may not be worth it, at a 8.5GB download... I only really use it for the service vehicles, as a kind of addon to GSX, I still install the nice HD airport textures but almost never get to see them, as I don't visit default airports much. Still, it is nice to know that when I do, they'll look nicer:)

Speaking of the download, it was quite quick considering it was very recently released, and probably quite a busy server. Took me about 20 minutes, which reminded me how far we've come with downloads these days -- I can remember my first 'major' scenery download, it was NL2000, the Netherlands for FS2000 At 50MB it seemed huge, and took days using a download manager on dial-up... Downloading Mike's NZAA recently, I clicked on the download link and it just appeared to stall, but when I looked at it properly, it had actually downloaded fully in what seemed like a few seconds -- for 500MB. Now we can just forget we ever got by on dial-up.

I have mentioned before that I'm thinking of moving to fibre, but at the moment I'm not sure I'll see enough benefit -- I've very recently discovered a power point behind my couch (shows how often I shift the couch to vacuum), which means that I can shift the wifi router through from the kitchen, and this has made a bit improvement. I'm 'stuck' with wifi as I don't want an ugly cable running through my lounge... But I'm now at the point where everything just works, sure, I could get 100Mb downloads on fibre compared to my current 60Mb on VDSL for the same price, but so what? I'd also probably lose a bit of upload speed, from 27Mb down to 20Mb, which is the norm for this price range. So if it ain't broke, I dunno if I'll fix it. The only benefit from shifting is if I ended up with the connection coming into my office, so I could use ethernet on the PC.

Back to Worldwide Airports -- is it worth it? In some ways it is too little too late, but since I already owned it, it isn't a major decision. For someone who uses default airports, it would be a very nice addition. I like seeing the new service vehicles at NZCH, it adds to the ambience, but a much bigger back for the buck comes from GSX. If I was looking for a major visual upgrade for my airports, I'd go for GSX at NZ$53 rather than REX WWA at NZ$43.

toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Scupper » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Good info about WWA, - but like you say, probably not worth it if you only fly to addon airports like I do.

I bought GSX ages ago, used it once and the little man told me my parking was crap so I stopped using it. :mad:

Recently, I blew the dust off it and tried again and it seems like a different product, - far advanced from the initial release. It's great, and I use it on every flight, - lots of fun. So far, I haven't been told I'm rubbish but I'm not sure if that's because my taxiing is better or they've introduced a more respectful way of addressing pilots :) .

Regarding GSX2 and Christchurch in your other post Rob, I think there's no need in the initial release. But If I had GSX2 I might not be of the same view, - and I don't know how long I can hold off getting it...

My next addon might be Terraflora, - my FTX trees are sometimes very disappointing and evidently these have better colours and framerates.

Looking forward to Christchurch :) .
Scupper
Forum Addict

Return to General