web / hosting suggestions?

An effort to collaborate all freeware New Zealand scenery addons. Discuss the creation and management of the project here.

Postby Christian » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:37 pm

The next issue is where do we host? Can we get space on here? If not I may be able to donate some, except I don't have a clue how to set permissions nor have the time to figure that out.

I thought we could maybe create our very own webpage on squidoo. Is anyone here into facebook? We could create a facebook fan page... This sort of stuff is quite cool to get us google ranked and get some fame in the FS crowd.

Any other suggestions?

Christian
Breathtakingly gorgeous FS landscapes for New Zealand.
Visit Sim Pilot Experience now:
http://www.simpilotexperience.com
Follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/ChristianStock
Christian
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Alex » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Not really currently [read: short-term] on here I'm afraid. We're running a wee bit short on that at the moment. Hopefully a pending upgrade will put an end to it. ;)

Alex
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
NZFF Pro

Postby LMerraine » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:53 pm

I can probably organise something, though I can't offer ftp access to it.

I can run an upload script, and have quite a bit of space if people are interested.

I'm willing to come up with a domain name for it as well.
When asked what I have contributed to on this earth my reply will be my daugther
LMerraine
Forum Addict

Postby Timmo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:24 pm

Another thing to consider, and a thing that was a little project of mine that I lost interest/time to do etc was the Google maps scenery database....

I have made a start spatially recording the various items of scenery in NZ (saved as a Kml file) which can then be viewed in Google Earth or Google maps. Once we have a website I can have another go and coding the map which references the Kml file (anyone with Google Earth will have the ability to edit this and re submit it for upload)

This could be a good way of visually seeing the status of parts of the project. For example: hmm I wonder if North Shore Aerodrome has been done; pan to North shore, click on the symbol and see: North Shore Aerodrome, Airport made with object placer etc, not photoreal, made by etc etc
Timmo
NZFF Pro

Postby Christian » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Timmo wrote:
QUOTE (Timmo @ Jan 20 2008, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another thing to consider, and a thing that was a little project of mine that I lost interest/time to do etc was the Google maps scenery database....

I have made a start spatially recording the various items of scenery in NZ (saved as a Kml file) which can then be viewed in Google Earth or Google maps. Once we have a website I can have another go and coding the map which references the Kml file (anyone with Google Earth will have the ability to edit this and re submit it for upload)

This could be a good way of visually seeing the status of parts of the project. For example: hmm I wonder if North Shore Aerodrome has been done; pan to North shore, click on the symbol and see: North Shore Aerodrome, Airport made with object placer etc, not photoreal, made by etc etc

good idea Timmo.
Breathtakingly gorgeous FS landscapes for New Zealand.
Visit Sim Pilot Experience now:
http://www.simpilotexperience.com
Follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/ChristianStock
Christian
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Alex » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:47 pm

If you wanted a website type thing, I'd be happy to set you up something with an nzff.org or nzff.org.nz subdomain plus 20-30Mb of space, or to point the subdomain somewhere etc... :wink2:

Alex
Last edited by Alex on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
NZFF Pro

Postby Timmo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:24 am

Yep I may just take you up on that offer- I have it on my personal web hosting at the moment but, with the move to Auckland im not sure if I need to keep my internet plan anymore. Ill get back to you when im a bit more settled.
Timmo
NZFF Pro

Postby Alex » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:32 am

No worries Timmo, give me a yell and I'll set it up for you. :)

Alex
Alex
NZFF Pro

Return to NZ Scenery Project