RNZAF firms up four Poseidons

A place for 'real world' pilots and aviation enthusiasts to discuss their hobby

RNZAF firms up four Poseidons

Postby Charl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:09 pm

It's a big statement that the RNZAF is going to sing from the US hymnal in the Pacific.
If you think about it that way, it's a no-brainer.
Taking your place in net-centric warfare with the other Brothers in Arms, what else would fit?

Other hand, if watching your fisheries limit was the extent of the plan, you might've saved about $2bn on the deal.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... ing-orions
Charl
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: RNZAF firms up four Poseidons

Postby toprob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:22 pm

It's no secret that I'm a bit of a greeny, why-don't-we-all-just-get-along, so far to the left I'm borderline off the playing field. Which is actually a good position for me here, I'll leave it up to those who make a living out of understanding things like this. If it pays our protection money to the mob, then it is money well spent. There are probably five bigger nations than us within walking distance who could take over NZ in a twinkling.
However... I do have some worries still. Which is funny, because in all my 60+ years, I have never once felt in danger from any invading force, internal or external war. I do think that the likelihood of this is hugely increased by becoming part of the US war machine, and I'm talking short term, within the next 2 or 3 years. Long term it is a certainty, but my kids will have to worry about that.
But as I said, if it means we don't actually have to spend 10s of billions on actual fighter planes, bombers and then we are probably ahead.

Oops, forgot to get to the point I intended -- watching the Green guy go up against Ron Mark last night on the news was hugely entertaining. Sometimes the media needs to think about who is relevant to a discussion....
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby SUBS17 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 am

toprob wrote:It's no secret that I'm a bit of a greeny, why-don't-we-all-just-get-along, so far to the left I'm borderline off the playing field. Which is actually a good position for me here, I'll leave it up to those who make a living out of understanding things like this. If it pays our protection money to the mob, then it is money well spent. There are probably five bigger nations than us within walking distance who could take over NZ in a twinkling.
However... I do have some worries still. Which is funny, because in all my 60+ years, I have never once felt in danger from any invading force, internal or external war. I do think that the likelihood of this is hugely increased by becoming part of the US war machine, and I'm talking short term, within the next 2 or 3 years. Long term it is a certainty, but my kids will have to worry about that.
But as I said, if it means we don't actually have to spend 10s of billions on actual fighter planes, bombers and then we are probably ahead.

Oops, forgot to get to the point I intended -- watching the Green guy go up against Ron Mark last night on the news was hugely entertaining. Sometimes the media needs to think about who is relevant to a discussion....

I find it difficult to believe that NZ would be able to get an aircraft like the P8 considering NZs position in the world today. NZ is not an ally of the US lol.
SUBS17

Postby Charl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:50 am

Five Eyes club has an entrance fee.
The P8 is arguably the best air contribution we can make, that has mutual benefit.
I never did understand the domestic value of the fast jet fleet.

Perhaps the C-130 replacement also fits in that thinking, wonder how that is shaping up?
Charl
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Charl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 am

...Further to which, an interesting analysis here
A couple of A320's replacing the 757's, and A400 providing a real improvement in transport capability?
Mmmm wonder how that would sit in the trade wars between our new American friends and those European chaps? :@
Charl
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Aviator 1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Certainly a big jump for the RNZAF with the 737 deal.

I wonder what will actually replace the C130 ? I am guessing here that it wont be the A400 because of the cost, the C17 I believe has been ruled out.
I think it maybe another model of Herc ? There current flight decks are all kited up Glass instruments ( meaning the ones present in the RNZAF )
Aviator 1
Sim-holic

Postby SUBS17 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:34 am

Again I doubt you could replace a Herc because of the current world situation. ;)
SUBS17

Postby toprob » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:25 am

Ok, we are not US allies, any more than those who pay their protection money become members of the Mafia... At the moment the US is keen to get countries to pay their way, and if this means buying American, then all the better.
Whether this is a good or a bad thing for NZ is up for debate. In some ways it seems weird to be spending all that money to Make America Great Again.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 pm

And suddenly the Embraer KC-390 looms larger in the picture!
I had forgotten the tie-up:
Bloomberg wrote:This is because Boeing already has a joint venture with Embraer on its KC-390 cargo/tanker in which Boeing markets the plane in return for service revenues for the fleet."

Actually it is very well suited to the task.
This would be a happy coincidence if purchased...
Charl
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Aviator 1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:18 pm

I read recently in New Zealand Aviation news that there been having a few issues with the Kc-390. What about a Ac130 :P

Charl wrote:And suddenly the Embraer KC-390 looms larger in the picture!
I had forgotten the tie-up:
Bloomberg wrote:This is because Boeing already has a joint venture with Embraer on its KC-390 cargo/tanker in which Boeing markets the plane in return for service revenues for the fleet."

Actually it is very well suited to the task.
This would be a happy coincidence if purchased...
Aviator 1
Sim-holic

Return to New Zealand Aviation